Support to strategic planning:start-up of pilot initiatives on territorial and environmental planning
Vertical Action: 4.A
Italian technical partners support South East European public administrations in the analysis of the impact of tourism and economic activities on the environment in order to create a set of tools for the tourism planning and sustainable management.
|Leader: Emilia-Romagna Region||Territories involved: Budva and Kotor (MNE), Smederevo and Pančevo (SRB)|
Institutional partners: Tuscany Region, Province of Pisa (IT), Municipalities of Budva and Kotor (MNE), Municipalities of Smederevo and Pančevo (SER)
|Italian Technical partners: Provinces of Rimini and Ravenna, Regional Agency for Prevention and Environment of Emilia-Romagna - ARPA, Istituzione Centro Nord Sud of Province of Pisa, Medina Association|
|Italian partner: Cinemambiente Enviromental Film Festival of Turin, Link Associated Cultural Club
||SEE partners: Ministry of Environment and Territorial Planning of the Republic of Serbia, Podunavlje District, Hotelier Association of Smederevo, Cultural and Environment Associations of Smederevo, National Association of Planners, Cultural Centre of Smederevo (SER), Ministry of Sustainable Development and Tourism (MNE)|
BACKGROUND OF THE ACTION
In the last twenty years, coming through a transition process, in their territorial and economic development policies, South East European countries have often faded into the background the issue of environmental sustainability. In order to face the consequent emerging of environmental crisis, Tuscan and Emilia-Romagna public authorities, as the Provinces of Pisa and Ravenna, have offered their experience and know how to perform initiatives in support to local development governance, with particular attention to environmental and local planning. The joint commitment of public administrations on both shores of the Adriatic Sea allowed the strengthening of local planning offices and the introduction of innovative tools for the monitoring and the environmental regeneration of partner territories. The increased interest of administrations and of citizens to the environmental issues, therefore, led to the identification of the present Action that intends to strengthen the territorial and the strategic planning skills of partner public administrations and to promote the participation of all kay actors in local governance processes.
Italian technical partners support South East European public administrations in the analysis of the impact of tourism and economic activities on the environment in order to create a set of tools for the tourism planning and sustainable management. The planning skills of partner authorities are also strengthened through the implementation of territorial information systems applied to the sustainable development of tourism, urban and local planning and environmental safeguard. The Action also encourages the joint development of pilot interventions. In the tourism sector, it is performed the definition of sustainable tourism indicators, the introduction of Ecolabel, the preparation of plans aimed at promoting sustainable mobility and deseasonalized tourism, and the creation of sustainable tourism Info Points. In the sector of environmental protection, the modernization of air-quality monitoring stations and the reclamation of a highly polluted area are supported. Activities of awareness and information, among which the establishment of an environmental festival in Pančevo, are also performed.
Budva and Kotor
- Analyses of the plans and programmes in force and those to be approved on tourism, environment, sustainability of tourism offer and sustainability perceived by tourists have been carried out;
- Planning tools have been defined through territorial information system applied to tourism, integrated management plan of the coast and guidelines on sustainable tourism;
- Pilot tools and interventions to sensitise tourism operators and tourists have been performed;
- New tourism services has been defined, with particular attention to sustainability and to deseasonalized tourism activities.
- The territorial information system has been strengthened;
- The competences of the Planning Office have been strengthened, with particular attention to the sustainable development of tourism;
- Pilot initiatives aimed at promoting and strengthening the tourism attraction have been performed.
- The technological update and the network connection of four air-quality monitoring stations have been performed;
- A highly polluted site has been reclaimed;
- “Pančevo Environment Festival” has been created.